Friday, June 1, 2012

THE UNTOLD LOVE STORY OF GERRY & HOLLY ‒ P.S. DON'T FORGET TO READ THIS ONE!

Hey Friends,
How have you been? Trust 'May' may have turned out just the way you expected it to be! ;)
Right now even as I'm out of town, I'm writing in here and updating my blog some how because I know some of you are eagerly looking forward to reading it and I absolutely adore you for that! I was reminded of a lovely film I saw once again and thought of sharing it as this month's blog post ..call me a romantic at heart or someone fond of rom-coms, classics or chick-flicks...but hell yeah that's something absolutely true of me! For those who have been following my blog in the last four years...you sure must have gathered some impression about me on this one!


Have you watched this one?
Before my travel last week I watched this sad yet romantic film about a girl widowed at a young age, madly in love with her late husband... but the beauty of the film is that knowing his wife and how much she loved him (and of course how much he loved her too), her late husband writes her letters to be delivered after his death to help her overcome the grief of his death telling her to move on in life, inspire her about her goals and to keep that memory alive and strong of how they first met  his  vivacious 'Galway girl' with whom he madly fell in love with on the streets of Ireland. 

Did I just drop a hint?? Do you remember Holly? Do you remember Gerry? Ah...I bet you did! Then you know that I'm talking of 'P.S. I Love You'!

For those who haven't watched the film...halt right here! Scroll up and exit...I just don't want to spoil it for you...all I'd say is that this weekend buy or borrow the DVD, but just watch the film! And then come back here to read and reminisce those tender moments that made you smile and cry while watching the film!

What I liked about P.S. I Love You is that in films like Love Story and A Walk to Remember (by the way I love both these film too!) it all begins with a love story between a boy and girl, translates into marriage and then later it so happens to be that in both these films is that the girl is dying. 


P.S. Gerry I Love You!

But P.S. I Love You it's just the reverse...the film simply inspires you because it talks about celebrating life even in grief. Of course here it is the man who dies in the film...but the focus is not even for a moment shifted on suffering or even the last moments at the hospital or something instead it treads on  memories that is beautifully interwoven and interspersed within the narrative of the film which makes it a memorable affair indeed!
I simply couldn't help falling in love with the very idea of the film because it was just so unique and spoke of a husband's undying love and affection for his wife and how despite not being there with her the director chooses to makes his presence felt in every moment of the film be it through those very thoughtful gifts he sends for her, the silly squabbles they had while they were married or even when she's reading his letters he's sitting right besides her reading it for her to the moment when he 'drops' a sign for a career that she had been searching all along.
Here are some dialogues that I loved from the film and I thought I'd put them down. And just in case I might have forgotten to add any, please write in the comments section of my blog.
  
1. Remember this heart warming letter Gerry Kennedy writes to wife Holly Kennedy? Ahhh....how romantic and sad at the same time....this was Gerry's last letter to her..


I had tears in my eyes when I read this letter...

"Dear Holly, I don't have much time. I don't mean literally, I mean you're out buying ice cream and you'll be home soon. But I have a feeling this is the last letter, because there is only one thing left to tell you. 
It isn't to go down memory lane or make you buy a lamp, you can take care of yourself without any help from me. It's to tell you how much you move me, how you changed me. You made me a man, by loving me Holly. And for that, I am eternally grateful...literally. 
If you can promise me anything, promise me that whenever you're sad, or unsure, or you lose complete faith, that you'll try to see yourself through my eyes. Thank you for the honor of being my wife. I'm a man with no regrets. How lucky am I. You made my life, Holly. But I'm just one chapter in yours. There'll be more. I promise. So here it comes, the big one. Don't be afraid to fall in love again. Watch out for that signal, when life as you know it ends. 
P.S. I will always love you." 
********** 
2. They say once married, romance goes out of the window... but not here! That's why everyone also loves a Gerry! He didn't have to die!
Ahh...how beautifully he puts it across...
Gerry: I know what I want, because I have it in my hands right now. You.
Gerry: [calms Holly] Every morning I still wake up and the first thing I want to do is to see your face. 
         **********
 3. Do you recall Gerry and Holly's first meeting on the streets of Ireland? Holly was lost...but look what she found...the priceless gift of love from a man who loved her even after his end! 


They meet...then go their separate ways...

Gerry: [after their kiss in Ireland] Where are you going?Stay. You have my jacket. 
Holly: I'm keeping it unless we meet again, otherwise that will be the most perfect kiss ever shared by two strangers 
Gerry: I bet we will meet again. 


And that's what you call 'serendipity'


Holly: You better win that bet, because if we do, that'll be the end of it. 
Gerry: The end of what? 
Holly: Life as we know it. 
Gerry: I'm singing at this... 
Holly: Shh, if I happen to walk  into the right one in the right town. 
Gerry: What's your name? 
Holly: No. 
**********

Kiss and make up...love ya Gerry and Holly

4. Do you remember Holly's silly squabbles with Gerry? She wanted a bigger home to start a family? She was unsure of what she wanted to do in life. And how easily she got irritable on little things...but the best part about Holly was Gerry! Do you remember this one from the film?
Gerry: Baby, we're already IN our life. It's already started. This is it. You have to stop waitin', baby. 
**********


Falling in love...with the Galway girl...

5. Even though Gerry was gone...but one thing he kept reminding her was the girl he met on the streets of Ireland with whom he madly fell in love at first sight! Do you know when this one comes in the film?
Gerry: [as Holly's reading a letter] My life had changed right there, I'm not worried about you remembering me luv, you need to remember that girl on the road.
**********
6. And this one's Holly's tribute to her late husband Gerry!

Missing you...

Holly: Dear Gerry, you said you wanted me to fall in love again, and maybe one day I will. But there are all kinds of love out there. This is my one and only life, And its a great and terrible and short and endless thing, and none of us come out of it alive. 

Making a new beginning...

I don't have a plan... except, it's time my mom laughed again. She has never seen the world... she has never seen Ireland. So, I'm taking her back where we started... Maybe now she'll understand. I don't know how you did it, but you brought me back from the dead. I'll write to you again soon. P.S... Guess what? 
**********
Did you enjoy reading this month's blog? If it's hell YEAH!....then write in! Looking forward to hearing from you!  P.S. I Love all my readers! ;)

Sonyaa

No comments:

Rate this Article

Copyright © 2012 Sonyaa's Random Musings