Sunday, July 1, 2012

'LISTENING' TO FILMS (A COMPILATION OF MY FAVOURITE SOUNDTRACKS FROM FILMS, PART I)

Hi Friends,
How are you doing? Trust that all's well at your end! Did you enjoy reading our last month's blog post on 'P.S. I Love You'? And I do hope you enjoyed watching it too...I bet you did! :-)
In our this month's blog post I thought I'd do something different...instead of directly recommending films to my readers, I thought I'd give you a bait...I mean another good reason to watch the film (Pssst...for music lovers...this one's for you!)...Confused?? Well if I just plainly started churning out a list of films, you wouldn't go for it rightaway...Would you? After all you have thousands of such list floating on the internet, so I decided to add a twist to those films you may or may not have seen by adding soundtrack/ songs of the film as the second dimension to the film, so that when you watch it the second time,you'd listen! 

Please note...in many of the films the soundtracks may or may not be the originals, it may be an old folk lore, an album etc, but I still decided to include it in the list because I felt it was simply wonderful, pivotal to the situation, integrated within the context of the film and it would be foolish of me to ignore it altogether! Also, this list is very subjective and not up-to-date...like I'm yet to listen to the soundtracks of Rock of Ages! So dear readers if you have your list of songs from films to share with me...please write in the comments section of this post and I shall definitely acknowledge the same!

 So here we go...and in random order I start with...
1. Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones - Edge of Reason  - You must have been a little amazed as these two films make it to the list..but hey there, let's put you in a situation here - Have you been alone? Been out of love for a while? And then gradually find that something is beginning to happen? I'm sure we've all been at some stage of the situation I just put you in...likewise is the case with Bridget Jones! Do you recall the opening soundtrack of the film? 
All by myself
Don't wanna be
All by myself, anymore
And then as Bridget meets her Mark Darcy and walks into the sunset with him...we have yet another lovely song apt for the couple in love walking hand in hand as you hear - 
Your love is king,
Crown you in my heart.
Your love is king,
Never need to part.
Your kisses ring,
Round and round and round my head.
Touching the very part of me.
It's making my soul sing.
Tearing the very heart of me.
I'm crying out for more.

2. Have you been the centre of attraction literally? I mean, does your man makes you feel extra special that his eyes are just fixed on you and his lips sing for you? Well, I know for sure this happens in films...not seen or experienced one in reality though...how 'bout getting
reel then? I have not one, not two but three songs for you!!!
Take One - Remember Patrick singing for Kat in 10 Things I hate About You? How does he woo the girl whom he has been hired to take on a date only to realize that he has fallen in love with her! Hear this out...let's give you the first few lines of the song and sing along!

You're just to good to be true
Can't take my eyes off you
You'd be like heaven to touch
Oh, I want to hold you so much
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive
You're just to good to be true
Can't take my eyes off you

Take Two! - Now this one's fresh in your mind I'm pretty sure about that. Hint - you just read my last month's blog post. What was the song that Gerry sings for Holly when she walks into the bar? Do you remember the lyrics? It was just perfect to the T...his lyrics described the girl he just met on the streets of Ireland...the Galway Girl! I simply loved it when he reminds her of his jacket and she wittily says his line! Hear it out from P.S. I Love You!

Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk
Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
Of a fine soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Round the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl
  
Take Three! - Sarah Deever is dying not before bringing meaning to Nelson Moss's life and he in turn decides to fulfill Sarah's wish in Sweet November..remember what that was?Watch this one now! (Trivia...actor Keanu Reeves sung this song! Remember..he even plays bass and sings for the music band, Becky...don't look surprised here!)

3.Okay...now this film has a lot of good 'music' and 'lyrics' just like most musicals do...pun intended! :-)

Next one on the list has definitely gotta be 'Music & Lyrics'! I particularly liked three songs from the film...and that's because I happened to remember them! ;-) Hugh Grant as a rock star? Imagine? He's handsome, dapper and cool! No need to rack your brains any further...just check this out..and lo, 'Pop goes my heart'!!!

Do you wanna tell your loved one more about yourself? And do you wanna know more about him too? How 'bout telling it all in a song? And not just that...how 'bout even finding a 'way back into love' just as Alex Fletcher and Sophie Fisher did! 
We all make mistakes, don't we?And it's thanks to our big fat egos that spoil things between two people in love...something like that happened between Alex Fletcher and Sophie Fisher too...and here's how Alex makes it up to the lady he wronged and even loves and to whom he happens to tell that she shoudn't 'write him off just yet'
(Oh and by the way...actor Hugh Grant has sung all the vocals in this film! How versatile! He could definitely put together a band of his own for sure!)

4.Do you ever get nostalgic as you reminisce the good old 'times gone by' you spent with your loved ones and somehow as you listen to that 'love song' (as I'd call it!), somewhere deep down it re-ignites some lost sparks!
When you talk of love stories in films,seldom do you find a happy ending and deep in the midst of that tragedy, that comeback 'love song' becomes e'en more memorable and hummable! This is exactly what happens when Ilsa  meets Rick once again in Casablanca!

5. What happens when you accidentally discover that a loved one does not have much 'time' on their side? That they'll soon be gone forever...then it's 'time' to make some decisions and remember those wonderful moments you spent together not before they become treasured memories of the past.

It all boils down to 'time' just as this soulful song - 'Only Time' (by Enya) from the film Sweet November would remind you of!
Now this list is just getting long and before you run out of patience 'listening' all the while...we shall conclude this article in our next month's blog post..till then patience! :-)
Did you like me play VJ? I've got an interesting line up for next month too! Got any favourites playing in your mind right now? Do write in the comments section of our blog or email me at - sonyaa.random.musings@gmail.com ...I'm waiting!
Take care and ciao!!
Love,
Sonyaa

No comments:

Rate this Article

Copyright © 2012 Sonyaa's Random Musings