Tuesday, July 1, 2014

'IN THE SPOTLIGHT' ON SONYAA's RANDOM MUSINGS : MEET JOE BLACK

Hi Friends,
How are you doing?Hope you enjoyed reading last month's post titled-DISCUSSING THE 1994 TV MINI-SERIES, SCARLETT: COULD IT HAVE BEEN BETTER? Here's the link to the post for the benefit of those who are yet to catch up on some past reading on my blog.

Today,I shall share some memorable moments and inspiring quotes from two such films I've watched (and re-watched) recently which I loved so much that they've stayed on in my thoughts ever since! And as I couldn't hold them back any longer, so I just thought of pouring my heart out here in this month's post!Of course,this article shall be divided into two parts as I could go on and on when it comes to discussing those defining moments from the two films that stole the thunder!

So then let's unravel the suspense of the first film right away...


(*****SPOILERS AHEAD- For those who have not watched the film*****)
And our first film in this two post series is the 1998 romantic drama, Meet Joe Black.

Meet Joe Black is the story about a multi-billionaire media mogul, William ''Bill'' Parrish whose life changes overnight when an unexpected visitor,Joe (a spirit actually!) pays him a visit to give him the ominous news that he had a few days to live and that Joe had undertaken this journey to take him along. Just as Bill Parrish is recovering from the shock of his sudden departure that's awaiting him,he's in for another as he discovers that his younger daughter,Susan (and his favorite!) is in love with a man resembling Joe whom she had met at the coffee shop.Oblivious to the truth about the man at the coffee shop and the real identity of Joe,she nonetheless falls passionately in love with him just the way her father had desired;except that he was not the right man for her!Now what follows next forms the crux of the film. 

About a month ago when I watched Meet Joe Black there was not a moment when I didn't have tears in my eyes.(Sob sob! Don't forget to keep a box of Kleenex besides you when you're watching the film!) And I was choked with emotion when I watched Bill Parrish's 'farewell' birthday speech and the final conversation he has with his daughter.As the celebrations are underway and they have the last dance,he tells his darling daughter how much meaning she brought into his life and should anything ever happen to him,he had no regrets at all.Along the film,he also shares with Susan some precious nuggets about the true meaning of love especially when he observes her troubled smile and senses somewhere that she was trapped in a loveless relationship where passion ceased to exist.

If ever on Father's Day you are deciding on a film to watch together with your loved ones,then it's gotta be Meet Joe Black!You simply can't miss out on watching this film for that warm and beautiful relationship that Bill Parrish shares with his dearest daughter,Susan!

If you ever want to know the meaning on after all what really is life about and the mad rush we are in to conquer our dreams, goals and ambitions,then Meet Joe Black will teach you to pause, introspect, reflect and celebrate the precious moments of life before they slip away!

If it's ever crossed your mind about the infinite possibilities on what true love can do,then Meet Joe Black will show you how an evil soul (Joe) is transformed and would even go on to make that sacrifice of going back alone without Susan,the love of his life by his side(even though he has all the powers to take her along!).Instead,he selflessly ensures her happiness by promising her that she would always have what she left behind at the "coffee shop".(Did I just say "coffee shop"? Watch the film to figure that out!)

One film and so many lessons for us all!

Meet Joe Black starring the versatile Anthony Hopkins, the brooding Brad Pitt and the talented Claire Forlani is a gem of a film. Anthony Hopkins comes up with a stellar performance that is understated and yet so powerful. Claire Forlani is an absolute surprise and a delight to watch for she emotes so effortlessly with her eyes that even as she conceals her pain and tears yet you as an audience feel so touched and moved.As for Brad Pitt, he internalizes the character of Joe completely that you as an audience who dislike him at the start come to develop empathy for the man who will change the life of one family forever!

Here are a few moments from the film, that I loved...

1. Bill Parrish tells his daughter one perfect definition of 'love' which no father would have ever told his daughter and you're going to love it! It's going to be your definition for life when your heart so chooses to skip a beat and fall in love with the ''one''!

"There's not an ounce of excitement, not a whisper of a thrill. This relationship has all the passion of a pair of tick mice. I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate...Sing with rapture and dance like a dervish. Be deliriously happy, or at least leave yourself open to be."

"Love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. I say, fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who will love you the same way back. How do you find him? Well, you forget your head, and you listen to your heart. And I'm not hearing any heart. Cause the truth is, honey, there's no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love, well, you haven't lived a life at all. But you have to try, cause if you haven't tried, you haven't lived...Stay open. Who knows? Lightning could strike!"

Wow...these words are already beginning to have a magical effect on me!

2.There's a moment in the film when on his last day on earth, the evil spirit Joe who has fallen in love with Susan (a human) decides to take her along as well.And here's when a concerned father, Bill Parrish explains Joe the true attributes of love and what it takes to love someone!

Joe Black: I don't care Bill. I love her.
Bill Parrish: How perfect for you - to take whatever you want because it pleases you. That's not love.

Joe Black: Then what is it?
Bill Parrish: Some aimless infatuation which,for the moment, you feel like indulging-it's missing everything that matters.

Joe Black: Which is what?
Bill Parrish: Trust, responsibility, taking the weight for your choices and feelings, and spending the rest of your life living up to them. And above all, not hurting the object of your love.

Joe Black: So that's what love is according to William Parrish?
Bill Parrish: Multiply it by infinity, and take it to the depth of forever, and you will still have barely a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

Joe Black: Those were my words.
Bill Parrish: They're mine now.

3.Here's yet another beautiful moment in the film when Bill Parrish opens up to Joe and tells him about the life he has imagined for his daughter and what he desires of the man who will come to love her...

"I loved Susan from the moment she was born,and I love her now and every minute in between.And what I dream of is a man who will discover her,and that she will discover a man who will love her,who is worthy of her,who is of this world,this time and has the grace, compassion,and fortitude to walk beside her as she makes her way through this beautiful thing called life."

4.During their last dance,Bill Parrish tugs a chord of your heart in an emotional father-daughter moment when he says...

Bill Parrish: I want you to know how much I love you, that you've given a meaning to my life that I had no right to expect, that no one can ever take from me.
Susan Parrish: Dad...

Bill Parrish: No!I love you so much.And I want you to promise me something.I don't want you to ever worry about me.And if anything should happen,I'm gonna be okay. And everything's gonna be all right.And I have no regrets. And I want you to feel the same way.
Susan Parrish: I love you, Daddy.
Bill Parrish: That's why it's okay.

(This was the scene that I was talking about paragraphs earlier which brought tears to my eyes!)

In the conversation that precedes the dance,a forlorn Susan tells her father...

Susan Parrish: Everybody's saying good-bye.      
Bill ParrishI'm still here.
             
Bill Parrish: Would you like to dance with me, Susan?
Susan Parrish:  Yeah.

Bill Parrish: If you don't mind dancing with an old fogey like me.
Susan Parrish: Oh, Dad, you're not old.You'll never be old.

(In the background of this wonderful father-daughter moment, you have Louis Armstrong's It's A Wonderful World playing that further brings out the essence of this scene!)

6.When Susan meets the young man in the coffee shop,cupid strikes in their very first serendipitous   meeting! In the words of Bill Parrish,truly 'lightening could  strike'!

Here's the conversation of what transpired between the duo at the coffee shop where fate would turn the trajectory of Susan's life forever!

Young Man in Coffee ShopIf you and I were married,I would want to give you what you need.That's all.I'm talking about taking care of each other the best you can. What's wrong with taking care of a woman?She takes care of you.
You know,I was thinking,I don't want you to be my doctor. I don't want you to...examine me and...               
Susan Parrish: Why?
Young Man in Coffee Shop:Because I like you so much.

Susan Parrish: And I... I don't want to examine you.
Young Man in Coffee ShopYou don't? Why not? 
Susan Parrish: Because I like you so much.

7. Here's another moment in the film that stirs your thoughts and even sets you crackling...

At the end of it,when it's time for farewell speeches and goodbyes...Bill has an unexpected moment of gratitude from none other than Joe Black himself! 

Joe Black: Would you mind if I expressed my gratitude? For you,for the time you've given me,for the person you are.
Bill ParrishDon't blow smoke up my ass.You'll ruin my autopsy.

Bill ParrishIt's hard to let go, isn't it?
Joe Black: Yes, it is, Bill.
Bill ParrishWell, that's life. What can I tell you?

8. Talk of one-liners and you often associate them with something witty...but here's a line that connects deeply between the protagonists-Joe and Susan on the future and status quo of the unusual relationship they share -"It will come to us"

You've got to watch out those two instances in the film and the context in which this line is spoken to capture that moment in your hearts forever. 

As also watch out for Joe's(not-so final) good bye to Susan at Bill's birthday party, Joe's heartening moments with the peanut butter and Susan's emotional conversation in the closing scene when the young man from the coffee shop makes his appearance out of nowhere! All this would (or rather should) give you many good reasons to watch the film this week-end!

Here's a film that has many layers to it and connects with you as an audience at different levels.Each time you watch the film,it comes to grow on you with newer perspectives on relationships,love and life that you as an audience come to explore,ponder and discover.Director Martin Brest is bang on! After Scent of A Woman,Meet Joe Black is yet another thought provoking drama that leaves behind a lasting impression long after you've watched the film.

For starters,watch it once on my recommendation to begin with! :) And yep, come back again next month for the second film to this post!
Love,
Sonyaa

No comments:

Rate this Article

Copyright © 2012 Sonyaa's Random Musings